Apollo's Most Wanted is a monthly section featuring top picks from the website, together with news about GB stamps that collectors might find interesting.
January 2024 preamble
It's been just over a month since I started Apollo's Lots website and it's become pretty time consuming. The idea was this website would be primarily to list selected GB Stamps for sale, to supplement or complement the eBay business side of things. With the hours put in to each over the past month it's beginning to look the other way around.
'Apollo's Most Wanted' will likely feature a handful of stamps, half-a-dozen or so, and stay in this blog post format for the foreseeable. As opposed to an email newsletter. Although I might explore that option at a later date.
Thanks for reading, Dan
Most Wanted: January's pick of GB stamps
Nice or collectable pieces, recently added to the site, not necessarily valuable or rare stamps.
- SG437wi 2½d Blue Watermark Inverted Fine Used - £645 - a nice example of Spec NCom8a, the 2½d Blue with inverted watermark from the 1929 Postal Union Congress.
- SG8 1d Red Plate 15, Basal Shift, Full Maltese Cross - £20 - a very fine, full and clear Maltese Cross cancellation, an honest and tidy looking stamp.
- SG151 1/- Orange-Brown WMK Spray of Rose - £79 - a very good used example of the rarer Spray of Rose watermark on the 1 Shilling Orange-brown stamp.
- ½d Blue-Green & 1d Scarlet R.H. Official stamps - £275-295 - a fine unmounted mint pair with recent Wenvoe expertising certificates. For sale individually, links at bottom of linked page.
- SG2 1d Penny Black Plate 1a, Red Maltese Cross - £125 - a fine used 4 margined example of a nice clean Penny Black.
- SG478ab 10/- Dark Blue Blot on Scroll, block of 4 - £55 - a very good to fine used block of 4 KGVI 10 shilling dark blue (Arms issue) showing the scarce variety 'blot on scroll' on the bottom left stamp.
Apollo's Lots website news
Coming soon. We have more new stock ready and waiting to be listed including: SG364a 1½d chestnut showing the infamous 'THREE HALFPENCF' error from the Royal Cypher Harrison printing, SG70a 6d pale lilac on AZURE paper, some fine Victorian stamps with CDS cancellations, plated Penny Red Imperfs and more...
There are some new sections/categories in the pipeline. Including Distinct Maltese Crosses although that's likely to be sparce for a while.
Do you have a query or suggestion? Please get in touch, details further down this page.
Stamp news elsewhere
Spice Girls special stamps - The Spice Girls 30th Anniversary commemorative stamps went on sale 11th January 2024. This includes the usual set of stamps and miniature sheet, but also expands to a range with Gold stamps and a Prestige Booklet.
Royal Mail special stamp calendar - The Royal Mail have issued their schedule of Commemorative stamps for 2024. A basic rundown of the with the date of issue and the corresponding theme.
Unique Penny Black for auction, est. $1.5 million to $2.5 million! - A short article I wrote about why this Penny Black on Mulready dated 2nd May 1840 could become most expensive British stamp ever! It has an estimate of $1.5 million to $2.5 million and is going to auction at Sotheby’s, New York, in February.
If you find this type of article interesting or of use then please let me know. Or anything to do with the website - good or bad. Or you have a question, a wants list or help sourcing a particular stamp. Please leave a comment below or continue to our contact us page and fill the simple form in. It would be great to hear from you, happy collecting, Dan